Exercise is beneficial for people of all ages and senior citizens are no exception. Seniors who exercise on a regular basis are more active and less prone to illness. Osteoporosis, arthritis and joint pain are common ailments among seniors; however, if you routinely participate in a low impact exercise routine, it may help to alleviate the aches and pains associated with joint pain. It is important that you get the correct amount of sleep, eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly to maintain an overall healthy lifestyle.
Health Benefits of Exercise
Aging tends to wreak havoc on the joints, making knees and elbows sore and difficult to move, but exercising on a regular basis helps to keep muscles loose. Regular, low impact exercise is very beneficial for helping senior citizens maintain good balance, which reduces accidental falls.
Some of the other amazing benefits when seniors exercise include:
- Reduces inflammation
- Increase in energy
- Helps to prevent depression
- Increased flexibility
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol
- Improves self-confidence
- Promotes a youthful feeling
- Helps to diminish the symptoms of illness
- Increases brain activity and may slow the onset of Alzheimer’s/dementia
Low-Impact Exercise Equipment
There are several types of exercise equipment that are fun and beneficial for a low-impact workout. If you are new to exercising, you should start with a minimum amount of exercises and begin with a workout of about 20 minutes each day and gradually work up to about 30 minutes per day.
- Walking is extremely beneficial for your overall health and well-being. Walking is the most natural form of exercise and can be done indoors or outdoors. Walking on a treadmill for about 20 minutes each day will help you burn calories, increase leg strength and increase cardio fitness.
- Trampolines are excellent for low impact exercise workouts and jumping on a trampoline is very easy on the joints. Jumping for about 10 to 20 minutes each day will help improve balance, increase cardio health, burn calories and help strengthen the muscles throughout your body.
- Recumbent bikes allow you to alter the resistance of pedaling so you can start at a low resistance and gradually increase as well as change the type of course you pedal on. The majority of recumbent bikes come with a monitor that allows you to keep track of the calories burned, distance traveled, heart rate and much more. These are excellent for elderly people who have difficulties leaving their home to walk outdoors.
- An elliptical machine provides a low impact workout and is less stressful on your joints. Elliptical machines are excellent for improving balance, reducing falls and increasing cardio health.
Improve your Overall Health
The majority of cities have places such as the YMCA which offer separate facilities and a vast array of exercise programs designed specifically for senior citizens. If you do not have access to fitness equipment either in your home or an exercise facility, taking brief walks each day, yoga or stretching exercises are also beneficial for improving your overall health.
Healthy Diet and Exercise
Before beginning an exercise routine, it is highly recommended that you speak with your physician to make there are no physical limitations to be concerned about. Your physician will also be able to provide you with information about how to incorporate a healthy diet into your new routine for better health.
About the Author:
This article is supplied by http://www.zoostores.com/, where you can find valuable information, reviews and buying tips as a guide to help with any questions you may have about quality trampolines, treadmills and other fitness equipment.
Get your Sports, Health and Fitness products at reasonable prices from VitaDigest Online health and fitness stores using online coupons like VitaDigest Online Coupons , VitaDigest Promocodes, VitaDigest Discount codes etc. Online Coupons is the best option to save your cash, time and energy and get more benefit on your order.